Even if zucchini is a fruit, I love cooking it the same way I do with vegetables because it tastes better when cooked and eaten as a dish.
I choose young zucchini for the recipe because it has a subtle taste, buttery white flesh and soft covering. Usually, these zucchinis are available from May to July when almost all their parts are edible, including the seeds, skin and flesh.
Healthy Vegetarian Zucchini Fritters Burgers
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- Three mediums zucchinis
- Two tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- ½ medium-sized onion
- One teaspoon of salt
- Two cloves of garlic
- Three tablespoons of warm water
- One tablespoon of ground flax
- 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit or 200 degrees Celsius.
- Get a baking sheet and lightly grease it.
- Get your zucchinis and grate them with the large holes of a cheese grater.
- Start lining a bowl with a clean dishcloth before loading it with the zucchinis. Alternatively, you can use a mesh colander for the grated zucchini. Put it over the sink or a bowl.
- Sprinkle salt over it before lightly tossing. You can also use tongs to combine.
- Set the veggie aside for about 10 minutes while working on the other ingredients.
- Mix the warm water and the flax seeds in a small bowl. Set it aside.
- Mince the garlic and chop the onion.
- Start gathering the ends of the cloth while the zucchini is inside. Do it when the veggie is ready for this method. Start squeezing it to squish out excess water. You can do it for a couple of minutes until drained of water or a majority of it is squeezed out.
- Get your ingredients and combine the flax mixture, zucchini, garlic, onion and whole-wheat flour as well as nutritional yeast. Mix them well with your hands.
- Start scooping enough in your hand to make a patty. At this point, the dough is sticky. Spread out every patty on the baking sheet. You can tidy it up with wet hands and then patting it back into a circular shape when it gets messy.
- Bake it for up to 25 minutes. Make sure to flip it once halfway cooking time. You will know they are ready once they are cooked through with a nicely browned color.
- Serve them with vegan sour cream if desired.
- For an afternoon snack, serve them with a bun.
- The zucchini fritters are great healthy kid’s snack. You can serve them like burger patties in a bun.
- For healthier zucchini fritters, you can also add tomato and onion slices and lettuce leaves in the same way you’d serve your traditional hamburgers.
- These fritters are moist inside. If you don’t like that kind of texture for your fritters, then this recipe may not be for you.
- You can make mini versions of these fritters to make them dryer. Alternatively, some cooks leave them overnight to dry out a bit.
There you have our delicious zucchini fritter burgers that you can easily prepare within minutes. You do not have to be a master chef to prepare or a vegan to eat it. The recipe is for everyone who wants to enjoy zucchinis in a new way. It is also for people trying to lose weight but crave for burgers. These zucchini burgers are guilt-free! Your kids will love them, too. After all, you can prepare it with them for that instant bonding activity.
Did you like these healthy zucchini fritter burgers? Tell us in the comment section. Finally, spread the word about this recipe and share it on Facebook today!